Living Atelier

Life | Home | Happiness

Chalk-tastic

LOVE ProjectAnaleisa LathamComment

Last week, during our snow days I finally finished a project that's been in the works for 5 years. (I may or may not be embarrassed at that timeline, which really means I am. Look here at Chalkboard Mirror Re-do for more details on how this came about.)

The edges of the mirror originally looked like this. 

photo (2).JPG

I do love flowers and stuff, but I definitely did not love them on this mirror. 
Originally I thought I would need to frame the mirror with wood to cover these, but after a first coat of primer I soon realized the paint would take care of my problem.

I applied 2 coats of primer, just regular old primer from Lowes. 
And then applied 2 coats of Rust-Oleum chalkboard paint
(I had a couple of days in between each application. That's because of these two things called life and obligations. As much as I would have LOVED to sit around and just paint stuff with chalkboard paint all day long, Hubby says I cannot.)
The last coat of chalkboard paint cured for 5 days. 

Then I seasoned it. 
Strange word for the process, but basically you take a piece of chalk and rub it (using the side) vertically and horizontally all over the piece. (I don't have any pictures of this step in the process, but a good resource is this post by Salvaged Inspirations.) Be prepared: this gets messy. 

After that I sweet-talked Steven into hanging it in our entry way. He's not really a fan of hanging stuff, but he loves me so he did it anyway. 

Then I started researching the best ways to write on it. Some people use projectors (but we don't have one or $$ for one), some people freehand it (yeah, right, not me), and then I found this brilliant method of using a grid. It's seriously like magic. 

So, I decided on what I wanted the board to say and...bam! This happened.

IMG_1135.jpg

Using the grid method, I first divided the art and printed it. Then I marked off the measurements on the board. (You have to do some math at this point, but if I could figure it out, I guarantee you can!)

The grid lines served as great guidelines, but I quickly realized I couldn't be too OCD them because proportionally it was a little off. 

I erased and re-tried a bunch. A whole, whole bunch. Here are a few more images of how it progressed.

Chalk2.png

I would be lying if I said I was anything but button-bursting proud of how this whole project turned out. The art isn't perfect, but for my first attempt I'd say it's pretty close. 

Chalk3.png

I'm already looking for ways to change it next month. And I can't wait!

Chalk4.JPG